Warning signs of hearing loss in children
• Unclear Speech which cannot be understood by most people.
• Often ask for things to be repeated "Seems to watch your face closely when you talk.
• Do not communicate as other children of same age.
• Often respond to a question with an unrelated answer.
• Prefer the TV or music systems to be kept louder than others in the family.
• Seems to be inattentive at home or school,
• Poor scholastic performance.
• Repeated ear infections.
• Responds inconsistently to sound "Use gestures to communicate.
• Cannot be heard when called from a distance or form adjacent rooms.
Each child s development has its own pace and is found to be different from the other; therefore these are just guidelines for early detection of any hearing impairment. Early detection is important to your child's long term development; you should have your child's hearing tested as soon as possible if you suspect a problem .A child is never too young for the hearing to be tested. A child s hearing can be tested at any age, if you suspect hearing loss, the sooner you test the better. This is because hearing is an essential tool for learning speech and the most critical period for this learning is between birth and 3years. If you think your child may have a hearing loss, its natural to be concerned. Try not to become overly worried at this stage. Consult your ENT specialist & Audiologist at Kannur Siemens Hearing Care. An ENT specialist who is specialized in diagnosing and treating diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat will determine whether your child's hearing loss is treatable with medicine or surgery. An Audiologist is specialized in measuring hearing loss, diagnosing the disorder and in rehabilitating non medically treatable hearing disorders. A hearing test is a simple and painless way to check whether your child is getting the absolute most out of the world around him or her.
WHO SHOULD BE TESTED
• Every child should have a hearing assessment as soon after birth as possible. Early identification and intervention is crucial for language development.
• Every adult who is regularly exposed to high noise levels should have a hearing test at least once a year.
• Every person who has ringing sound inside the ear, pain or feeling of fullness in the ear.
• Every person who experience the slightest difficulty with hearing should undergo a hearing assessment in order to detect, intervene and help preserve communication & listening skills.
SELF HEARING EVALUATION
The question below will help you to determine whether you are experiencing hearing problem& are designed to evaluate your ability to hear in different situations. Please answer each statement below
1) Do you often ask people to repeat what they have said?
2) Do you often feel that people are "mumbling" or speaking unclearly
3) Do you have problem understanding people even though you have heard them?
4) Do your family members complain that you play the radio or television too loudly?
5) Have your family members/colleagues/friends asked you whether you have hearing problem?
6) During conversations in car, restaurant, or any another noisy place, do you often misunderstand what is being said?
7) Do you often experience problems hearing and understanding what other people are saying to you when you do not have eye contact or problems in locating sounds?
8) Do you have trouble in hearing in telephone / understanding rapid speech or unexpected conversation?
9) Do you experience ringing in your ears (Tinnitis)?
10 Do you feel stressed or tired when you have had to talk or listen for long periods or do you need to watch a speaker's lips more closely to follow conversation?
If your answer is "yes" to 3 or more questions, you may have a hearing problem. Please visit ENT specialist /Audiologist at Siemens Hearing Care, a Siemens Best Sound Centre and get your hearing checked.